Surrounded on three sides by the River Nene, Oundle is a beautiful, stone built, historic market town. It is just a few minutes’ drive away or a lovely half hour stroll along riverside footpaths from the Mill.
The town centre has many stone houses over 300 years old, divided by narrow alleys and courtyards, above which the graceful spire of the parish church rises. Founded in the 14th century, the church has a 15th-century porch and contains 14th-century screen work. Many of the older properties are owned by the prestigious Oundle Public School which was re-endowed in 1556 by William Laxton, the town's grocer who eventually became Lord Mayor of London.
Oundle is an enjoyable town to visit with a quaint old market place full of individual shops and tea rooms. There is a lively market on Thursdays, where you can buy fresh bread and local produce. A Farmers' Market is also held on the second Saturday every month. A small museum in the former Courthouse offers interesting displays about Oundle's history including exhibits from Roman, Saxon and Medieval periods.